11.3.11

Installing Rails..it was all going so well until...

Categories:

I watched Wesley install a new Rails app and thought, Wow that doesn't look so hard.  I set about setting up my own application and it seemed to be going swimmingly despite a small sqlite3.dll missing glitch.  I soon rectified that by downloading the missing dll and putting it in the bin directory of my Ruby 192 application.
 I ran the new rails app from the cmd line. I then ran the bundle install and then I generated the new controller say and contained within it was the method say hello.  I ran the server. all fine.  then I made my html.erb hello file and I changed the root of the application to
root :to => "say#hello"
checked that everything was working on localhost:3000 and everything was hunky dory.  Great!  I made the goodbye.html.erb file. Made the goodbye method in my say controller and then went to check the url localhost:3000/say/goodbye and that's when I ran into trouble.  I got the error that the route wasn't defined (or something like that).  I did a bit of looking around on Google and after checking the link localhost:30000/say/hello to find I would get the same error I started to think that maybe something might be up with the routes.rb file so I commented out the root :to => "say#hello" and exchanged it for match ':controller(/:action(/:id(.:format)))'.  This worked I was able navigate to  both localhost:3000/say/goodbye and localhost:3000/say/hello .  I linked both these files together using a ref and all was good.  but when I changed it to
<%= link_to "Goodbye!", say_goodbye_path %>

It all went pear-shaped on me.  I went off and ate some dinner and my computer shut down.  Came back and started work again, and now out of the blue a really annoying problem has started ... when I start Rubymines now, run bundle install, I still get the error failed to load remote gems please check proxy settings.  Now if I knew what proxy setting were, or how to check them, I might be able to sort this, but alas I'm stuck!

Spread The Love, Share Our Article

Related Posts

1 Response to Installing Rails..it was all going so well until...

March 12, 2011 at 3:11 AM

I found the answer to the failed to install remote gems. I solved it by removing the url gems.rubyonrails.org by navigating in rubymine to Settings/Ruby SDK & Gems/Install Gems/manage urls

and I found the answer here..http://devnet.jetbrains.net/message/5286016

Post a Comment